Welcome to the Town of Oyster Bay Annual Polar Plunge for Special Olympics New York! Below you will find the timeline of events for the Polar Plunge. Please be aware that below is a tentative timeline. Make sure you are check your email for information from email@example.com.
- Registration: 9:30
- Plunge: 11am
GENERAL EVENT INFORMATIONQ: What is the minimum amount that I need to raise to participate?
- A: Individual Plungers need to raise at least $150. By raising $150, you will receive an official Polar Plunge hoodie the day of the plunge. Raise more money and receive more great prizes! Incentive prizes will be sent out after the plunge.
- A: Any money you have in-hand should be turned in at the Registration area on Plunge Day. This includes cash, checks, and money orders. Credit card donations are also accepted at Registration. Please have checks made out to Special Olympics NY.
- A: Anyone that raises $250 or more will qualify for additional incentives. These incentives will be sent out AFTER the plunge. Check out our Incentives tab to see what other fun swag you could win.
- A: As far as you want! There are no "plunge police" making sure that you go in. Some choose to go all the way under, while others go ankle-deep and then go home. Everyone is a Plunger in our book!
- A: While we do not have any age restrictions, participants under the age of 18 must have written consent from a parent or legal guardian. Over the years, many young children have participated quite safely and we defer to the parents on what makes the most sense for their family. Remember, Plunging can mean dipping a hand or a big toe, which is plenty of cold water for a little one!
- A: Yes, there are bathrooms on site and tents to change after the Plunge.
- A: Pretty much whatever you want, within the following guidelines: You must wear shoes of some sort. We recommend old sneakers, crocs, or water shoes. Flip flops fall off easily. Lewd or indecent bathing suits or outfits are not permitted. Please remember that this is a family event. Participants who disregard this policy will be asked to cover up, or will be escorted from the park. There is a costume contest!
- A: The most fun you'll ever have at the beach in the winter! There will be vendors and merchandise!
- A: Bring a plastic bag for your wet clothes. Don't wear any jewelry that you are afraid to lose. If you want to take your cell phone with you, put it in a plastic bag so it won't get wet. Be careful of your keys! If you decide to go all the way into the water, consider leaving your keys with a spectator or with your things on the beach!
DONATIONS / FUNDRAISINGQ: Who should checks be made out to?
- A: Checks should be made out to Special Olympics New York. Please include in the memo area of the check the Plunger's name that will receive the credit.
- A: Call or email us and we can help!
- A: Donations to the Plunge are accepted at any time of the year, and simply need to be mailed or delivered to: Special Olympics New York, 560 Broadhollow Rd, Suite 106, Melville, NY 11747. Please be sure that the name of the individual or team that the donations should be credited to is clearly indicated.
- A: All donations should be turned in at the event Registration, these additional funds will be added to your fundraising total. You can also drop your donations off to our offices at 560 Broadhollow Rd, Melville, NY 11746. Please contact Casey Maloney to coordinate a time.
- A: Yes, you can receive a refund on your donation.
- A: Individual Plunge participants can enter donations in the system, but they must be confirmed by the staff at Special Olympics New York. All donations cash, check, money order received via mail or in person are entered by the administrative support staff for the Plunge. Contributions in this form should be mailed to Special Olympics New York, 560 Broadhollow Rd, Suite 106, Melville, NY 11747 for processing. Please allow at least 5-7 days from receipt of the donations for totals to reflect online.
- A: Generally speaking, contributions will be entered no more than 5-7 days after they are received by Special Olympics New York. When checking on a donation that has been mailed, please remember to allow 2-3 days for handling by the USPS. During the week of the Plunge, processing time WILL increase due to the volume of mail received. In this case, contributions may or may not appear on your webpage prior to the event.
- A: Yes, that is an excellent way to raise additional funds on behalf of your Plunge. All you need to do is complete a request with your employer. They will have us verify your donation and will send us the matching funds — usually within 6 weeks, sometimes longer.
- A: Blank receipt forms are available for you to give back to donors upon receiving a contribution.
TEAM INFORMATIONQ: What is the minimum amount that my team needs to raise?
- A: Teams are not required to raise any specific amount; however, we do recommend that all participants raise at least $150 to get this year’s sweatshirt.
- A: All Plungers must fund-raise individually. However, we are aware that in some cases a family member or a company will issue one check intended to cover multiple team members, but will just use the team name. You can help us to avoid this by asking donors to indicate in advance exactly who they are sponsoring and in what amounts. If that information is not included ahead of time but the donor did intend for it be split among team members, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are bringing a bulk check or dollar amount with you to the event registration, PLEASE have exactly how you would like the funds split up between each Plunger written out or the donation will go to whichever team member is handing it in during registration.
- A: We are happy to work with teams to assist in promoting participation in this event. Send us the information and we will post it on our social media accounts. Please email Casey at email@example.com.
SPECTATORSQ: As a spectator, where is the best place to watch the Plunge?
- A: Spectators are welcome to stand along the outside perimeter of the fence line designating the official "Plunge Zone" in order to watch the action; however, they will not be allowed entry into the Plunge Zone. For those Plungers who need photographic proof, we recommend taking a waterproof camera to the water with you and asking a fellow Plunger to capture the moment. Another option is to delay your Plunge until the bulk of the crowd has already entered and exited the water, making it easier for your supporters to see you from the spectator area.
- A: No! Spectators are welcome to the event free of charge. However, there will be tons of great food and other merchandise for sale at the event so you might want to have some money on hand for when you see that sweatshirt you just can't live without!
REGISTRATION INFORMATIONQ: I was going to participate but now I can't. Is there a way for me to cancel my registration?
- A: If you simply want to let us know that you are no longer attending, there is no need to cancel.
- A: Absolutely! Please contact your regional Plunge staff and they will help you arrange that!